Friday 20 July 2007

Hay Box Cooker

I promised Uncle James a Hay Box Cooker post.


My hay box cooker, also known as the slow cooker, is just an old Coolbox stuffed with shredded paper that lives under the stairs (loads of extra insulation from all the junk in there).







First get the food bubbling hot



Then load it into the hay box and completely surround with shreddings to continue cooking.




This arrangement will keep food hot over night. I use it for stews, curries and pasta sauces and anything else that benefits from long slow cooking. It also makes perfect rice using the absorption method, something I can't manage any other way.
I did take it camping once, where I found it didn't retain enough heat to cook anything, thus proving how much extra insulation a house and an under the stairs cupboard provide.




No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin